Das Viswanath M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Cells are physiologically arranged in a complex three-dimensional (3D) architecture, and cellular systems that better reproduce these complexities have a significant impact on cancer drug discovery and development. My work focuses on the development and the use of patho-physiologically relevant in vitro tumor models for precision drug discovery and development.
au aggregation in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) was believed to be an autonomous cell disorder for several years, and the events leading up to the formation of tau tangles and aggregates were thought to be confined within the affected cells. However, the spread of tau aggregates from one region of the brain to other gave the notion of prion-like spreading of tau pathology within the AD brain. I am interested in mechanisms of tau spreading andidentifying druggable targets that confer
a selective advantage to tau misfolding and aggregation in AD, and other related tauopathies.
Current research lines
- 3D in vitro tumor models, drug resistance
- Anti-cancer drugs, drugs repurposing
- Tauopathies, tau aggregation and spreading
- Gruner B#, Brynda J#, Das V#, Sicha V#, Stepankova J, Nekvinda J, Holub J, Pospisilova K, Fabry M, Pachtl P, Král V, Kugler M, Masek V, Medvedikova M, Matějková S, Nova A, Lišková B, Gurská S, Džubák P, Hajdúch M#, Řezáčová P#. Metallacarborane sulfamides: unconventional, specific, and highly selective inhibitors of carbonic anhydrase IX. J Med Chem. 2019 Sep 30. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00945. (#equal contribution)
- K Agrawal#, V Das#, N Táborská, J Gurský, P Džubák, and M Hajdúch. Differential regulation of methylation-regulating enzymes by senescent stromal cells drives colorectal cancer cell response to DNA epi-drug decitabine. Stem Cells Internationals. 2018:6013728. (#equal contribution)
- K Agrawal, V Das, P Vyas, and M Hajdúch. Nucleosidic DNA demethylating epigenetic drugs – A comprehensive review from discovery to clinic. Pharmacology and Therapy. 2018, 188:45-79.
- J Řehulka, N Narendran, I Frydrych, P Džubák, JH Miller, M Hajdúch, and V Das. Peloruside A Induced Cell Death in Hypoxia Is p53 Dependent in HCT116 Colorectal Cancer Cells. Journal of Natural Products. 2018, 81:634-640.
- J Řehulka, N Annadurai, I Frydrych, P Znojek, P Džubák, P Northcote, JH Miller, M Hajdúch, and V Das. Cellular effects of microtubule-targeting agent peloruside A in hypoxia-conditioned colorectal carcinoma cells. Biochimca et Biophysica Acta. 2017, 1861:1833-1843.
- N Annadurai, K, Agrawal, P Džubák, M Hajdúch, and V Das. Microtubule-affinity regulating kinase is an emerging drug target candidate for Alzheimer’s disease therapy. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 2017, 74:4159-4169.
- V Das, T Fürst, S Gurská, P Džubák, and M Hajdúch. Evaporation-reducing culture condition increases the reproducibility of multicellular spheroid formation in microtiter plates. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2017:55403.
- K Agrawal#, V Das#, M Otmar, M Krečmerová, P Džubák, and M Hajdúch. Cell-based DNA demethylation detection system for screening of epigenetic drugs in 2D, 3D and xenograft models. Cytometry A. 2016, 91:133-143. (#equal contribution)
- V Das, T Fürst, S Gurská, P Džubák, and M Hajdúch. Reproducibility of uniform spheroids formation in 384-well plates: The effect of medium evaporation. Journal of Biomolecular Screening. 2016, 21:923-30.
- V Das, F Bruzzese, P Konečný, F Iannnelli, A Budillon, and M Hajdúch. Pathophysiologically-relevant in vitro tumor models for screening of anticancer compounds. Drug Discovery Today. 2015, 20:848-55.
- V Das, J Štěpánková, M Hajdúch, and JH Miller. Role of tumor hypoxia in acquisition of resistance to microtubule-stabilizing drugs. Biochimica Biophysica Acta. 2015, 1855:172-182.
- V Das, A Kanakkanthara, A Chan, and JH Miller. Potential role of tubulin tyrosine ligase-like enzymes in tumorigenesis and cancer cell resistance. Cancer Letters. 2014, 350:1-4.
- V Das, DA Sim, and JH Miller. Effect of taxoid and non-taxoid site microtubule-stabilizing agents on axonal transport of mitochondria in untransfected and ECFP-htau40-transfected rat cortical neurons in culture. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 2014, 92:1155-1166.
- SS Madhukar, A Solomon, AK Kumar, V Das, and S Krupanidhi. In silico design of inhibitors for β-secretase: Implications for Alzheimer’s disease. Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy. 2013, 7:558-566.
- V Das and JH Miller. Non-taxoid site microtubule-stabilizing drugs work independently of tau overexpression in mouse N2a neuroblastoma cells. Brain Research. 2012, 1489:121–132.
- V Das and JH Miller. Microtubule stabilization by peloruside A and paclitaxel rescues degenerating neurons from okadaic acid-induced tau phosphorylation. European Journal of Neuroscience. 2012, 35:1705-1717.
- V Das and JH Miller. Microtubules as a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, Yamamoto, H. and Oshiro, A. (Eds.), In: Axons: Cell Biology, Molecular Dynamics and Roles in Neural Repair and Rehabilitation, Nova Science Publishers Inc., 400 Oser Avenue, Suite 1600, Hauppauge, NY 11788. Chapter 5, pp: 281-313, 2015. (ISBN: 978-1-62948-051-0).
Publications (Impact Factor Journals):
- GRUNER, B., J. BRYNDA, V. DAS, V. SICHA, J. ŠTĚPÁNKOVÁ, J. NEKVINDA, J. HOLUB, K.. POSPISILOVA, M. FABRY, P. PACHL, V. KRAL, M. KUGLER, V. MAŠEK, M. MEDVEDÍKOVÁ, S. MATEJKOVA, A. NOVÁ, B. LIŠKOVÁ, S. GURSKÁ, P. DŽUBÁK, M. HAJDÚCH a P. ŘEZÁČOVÁ. Metallacarborane Sulfamides: Unconventional, Specific, and Highly Selective Inhibitors of Carbonic Anhydrase IX. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2019, 62(21), 9560-9575. ISSN 0022-2623. IF: 6.054. PMID: 31568723
- AGRAWAL, K., V. DAS, N. TÁBORSKÁ, J. GURSKÝ, P. DŽUBÁK a M. HAJDÚCH. Differential Regulation of Methylation-Regulating Enzymes by Senescent Stromal Cells Drives Colorectal Cancer Cell Response to DNA-Demethylating Epi-Drugs. Stem Cells International. 2018, 2018, 6013728. ISSN 1687-966X. IF: 3.989. PMID: 30158986
- ŘEHULKA, J., N. ANNADURAI, I. FRYDRYCH, P. ZNOJEK, P. DŽUBÁK, P. NORTHCOTE, J.H. MILLER, M. HAJDÚCH a V. DAS. Cellular effects of the microtubule-targeting agent peloruside A in hypoxia-conditioned colorectal carcinoma cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 2017, 17, 30124-1. ISSN 0304-4165. IF: 5.083. PMID: 28366502
- DAS, V., D.A. SIM a J.H. MILLER. Effect of taxoid and nontaxoid site microtubule-stabilizing agents on axonal transport of mitochondria in untransfected and ECFP-htau40-transfected rat cortical neurons in culture. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 2014, 92(9), 1155-1166. ISSN 0360-4012. IF: 2.594. PMID: 24788108
Doctoral students mentor:
Ph.D. specialization: , status: Ongoing, from: 2015
Master students mentor:
status: Graduated, from: 2015
status: Interrupted, from: 2014
Bachelor students mentor:
status: Ongoing, from: 2018